The sciatic nerve starts from the lower back or spinal cord and continues until the end of each leg. Sciatic nerve is one of the tallest nerves in the body.
This nerve starts from the lower part of the waist and continues up to the back of the hips, thighs, legs and legs.
This nerve controls the muscles behind the knee and the bottom of the foot, creating a sense behind the thigh, part of the foot and foot of the foot.
– Damage and discomfort in the lower back of the back and spine
– Breaking the waist discs (the discs act like a pillow between the spine vertebrae)
– Slip and remove the disk from place
– Pain in the muscles of the hips
– Fractures or pelvic injuries
– Internal bleeding
– Disc herniation (disc ejection)
– Excessive bone growth
– Nerve damage from diabetes (diabetic neuropathy)
– Osteoporosis (osteoporosis and bone fracture)
– Stress to the sciatic nerve
Spinal cord stenosis
– Creation of abscess (mastitis)
– Weight Gain
– Lack of regular exercise
– wear high heel shoes
– Sleeping on a very soft mattress
Sciatic risk factors
1) Age: With age, changes in the spinal cord may occur, such as a disc herniation and excessive bone growth that causes sciatica.
2. Overweight: Obesity increases pressure on the spine and worsens sciatica pain.
3- Type of occupation: Jobs that need to be turned around or a person should carry heavy loads or need to drive and sit for long, may cause sciatic pain.
4- Long sitting or lifeless life
5- Diabetes and increased nerve damage
6- Arthritis (arthritis)
Sciatica pain is very wide and may affect the length of one foot or toes.
– Feeling mild, mild pain or burning sensation. In some people, this pain is so severe that it prevents a person from daily activity.
– In most cases, pain is on one side of the body.
– Some people have fatal pain in one of the legs or hip and also numbness in the other leg. Pain and numbness may also be felt behind the shin, behind the knee, or on the sole of the foot.
– Pain with weak sciatica.
At first, the pain of the sciatica is calm, and over time, it gets worse due to the following factors: After standing up and sitting, at night, when sneezing and coughing and laughing, when you bend backwards or for a long time You are walking or if you suffer from spinal canal stenosis.
Ways to detect sciatica
The doctor first performs a physical examination of the patient and during the examination shows the following:
– Weakness in knee bending and leg movements
– Lean hard
– A weak or abnormal reaction in the legs
– numbness of the legs
– Pain when raising the foot
The following medical tests should be performed if the severity and duration of the pain are high:
– blood test
Often the sciatic pain itself disappears, but the likelihood of its return is high.
Lumbar and leg pain may be due to another condition, so you must first know the exact cause of this pain and then start the treatment.
In some cases, no cure is needed and recovery is done on its own.
If the following treatments do not work for you, your doctor will prescribe medication to reduce nerve pain.
Sciatic home remedy
– Place the pain cold and warm. For the first 48 to 72 hours, place a cold compress (like a sachet) and then a warm compress (warm towel). Of course, you can get cold and hot compress packages from the pharmacy.
You can also get a hot towel under hot water for hot compresses, then tighten it to drain it and place it on the back of your shoulder. Some researchers believe that warming moisture relieves pain.
Take medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
– It is not recommended to sleep in bed longer than two days.
Do not sit on the soft chair, do not bend and do not raise your feet.
Lay back on a rigid place and put a pillow under your knees, or lie on one side of the body and put a pillow between your knees.
– Reduce your activity for the first few days. After that, slowly start your daily activities.
– Avoid lifting heavy objects or turning back for up to six weeks after starting pain.
– Start exercising after 2 to 3 weeks, including abdominal booster exercises and spinal flexibility.
Sciatic supplementary and alternative therapies
– Acupuncture: Some studies have shown that acupuncture is a back pain reliever.
– Chiropractic: For this type of treatment, the spine is manipulated. With chiropractic, movement and improvement of function and reduction of pain in the spine are seen.
Complications of Sciatica
– Disk slip
– Spinal cord stenosis
– Lack of feeling and weakness in the feet involved
– Loss of intestinal or bladder function
Prevention of Sciatica
– Avoid long-term sitting
– Lying down on the hips
– Regular exercise and more exercise for your abdomen and back to stand up and sit up
– To sit, choose a seat with buckles and wheels. Put on a pillow behind your back to maintain a normal lower back. When sitting on a chair, knees and hips should be placed in a line.
– If you stand for a long time, place your foot on a higher surface such as a stool and change your legs after a while.
– When you are lifting a heavy object from the ground, sit and bend your knees, while your back is flat. Carry heavy body near your body. Avoid picking up and turning around and ask someone for help.